|Butterflied chicken breasts ©MyNewlywedCookingAdventures 2013|
|Right side shows the stuffing and left side shows ready for baking ©MyNewlywedCookingAdventures 2013|
|Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken Breasts ©MyNewlywedCookingAdventures 2013|
Mediterranean Stuffed Chicken Breasts
By: My Newlywed Cooking Adventures, 2013
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- 2 chicken breasts (boneless/skinless OR skin-on)
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 2-3 tbsp capers, drained
- 1/2 cup tomato or pasta sauce
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning or oregano and/or parsley
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF. If chicken breasts seem too thick, place between saran wrap and pound gently to flatten down to about 3/4" thick.
2. Slice breasts lengthwise but not all the way through (butterflied I believe is the technical term) so they look like pita pockets. Sprinkle in the feta, capers, herbs, and salt and black pepper.
3. Close the chicken pockets and pour tomato or pasta sauce (I love using vodka sauce) over the chicken breasts so they are covered with a thin layer to keep moisture in while baking. Alternatively, you can skip the sauce and cover the baking dish tightly with foil. Also, if you use skin-on chicken breasts you can skip sauce as well but leave them uncovered and let the skin crisp up!
4. Spray cooking spray to grease the bottom of a small glass or ceramic baking dish (I use a Le Creuset rectangular baker or a glass 8"x8" pyrex). Place chicken inside and if any cheese falls out stuff it back in. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve immediately.